15 Feb Small SEO positioning tricks to keep in mind
The online visibility of archives, libraries and documentation centers is more than necessary, it is essential . They must position all their value and knowledge in a medium as important as the Internet to make themselves known, be seen and be useful. All an approach to the society full of intentions that tries to escape the phrase “if you are not on the Internet, you do not exist”, at the same time to increase visits (even if they are online). But it is not enough to be, you have to go as high as possible, as Kdosd SEO agency comments : «SEO SEO is key because for any company or project on the Internet, the first page of Google’s search results is the goal» .
To give a simple example, the website generator that the Ministry of Culture and Sports makes available to libraries is more than interesting. It offers that the libraries are housed within a strong domain for positioning, but it is not enough by itself. The libraries (as well as would happen with files and documentation centers) have to go a step further and try to work positioning and web visibility between organic results of search engines (mainly Google) to increase your visits. And that’s where SEO comes into play .
Small SEO positioning tricks to keep in mind
Without being an expert on the subject, I would like to propose a series of small proposals so that archives, libraries and documentation centers can work a bit on the positioning of their websites . I hope that this post about SEO is useful and these basic techniques can improve in increasing your digital visits and online visibility. Yes, be careful and do not go over- optimization .
- Work conscientiously the content . It would be necessary to write (and publish) quality content for the audience you address, originals (that are not written on another site, nothing to copy and paste) and with relevance to other content written on the website. In addition, and although you can position content of 300 words, write articles with a certain length and that exceed 750 words.
- Optimize the content title and the meta description . The title and description of the content is something that search engines take into account. The title must be clear, direct, eye-catching and not exceed 50/70 characters. On the other hand, the meta description must contain a summary of the content that is able to capture the attention of people and not exceed 150 characters.
- Optimize the other meta tags . In addition to the meta description , attention should be paid mainly to other meta tags such as meta title (which defines the title of the post in the search engines and can be used to offer a title alternative) and meta keywords (to indicate the theme of the Do not exceed four words, there are professionals who question their importance, put them in any way … it will not take you time).
- Optimize the structure and format of the contents . The provision of content and highlighting phrases or words is of vital importance, not only for people who will read the content, but also so that search engines know how they are structured and what elements are more important. We recommend using subtitles (tags h2, h3 … [the content title is the h1 tag]) to divide the text and give it a logical structure. At this point it is also interesting the layout of the contents through tags (labels) and categories for the internal arrangement of the contents on the website. Regarding the format it is advisable to write paragraphs of 4/5 lines, highlight phrases and words in bold or italics to highlight the most important parts, and include elements such as images, videos or embed social media publications (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube …) .
- Optimize the URL of the content . The URL is one of the most important elements for SEO. In the optimization of the permanent link ( slug ) should take into account that this can not exceed 255 characters, the separation of words through scripts and facilitate the recall and understanding of the link (friendly URLs). Needless to say, special characters have no place. In addition, this link must have a logical structure. The best, in my point of view, is the structuring under categories … although I use in my blog a direct structure by the name of the entry.
- Optimize images used . An element that many times is left in the forgetfulness of the positioning are the images. In an increasingly visual society, it is necessary to take into account the optimization of the images that are incorporated into the contents, since these can help the positioning and subsequent visibility of the site. That is why you have to give a title, description and alternative text (ALT tag) to the images used.
- Make internal links and get external links . Internal links help to position content through other website content. This helps search engine spiders pass through these contents (thanks to the link, the text on which the link is and the anchor text) and inform the search engine of the importance they have. Under my point of view with 3 or 4 internal links would be more than enough. On the other hand, getting other websites to link to you (external links pointing to your site) will give your site authority and relevance over the text in which they are linked. That is why they are of vital importance for positioning, taking into account that both authority and relevance are characteristics taken into account by the main search engines. Of particular importance at this point are also the links received from the main social networks.
- Take into account the density of the keywords . Do not obsess about the positioning of the keyword. Many times this leads to an unnecessary repetition of mentions of that word. That is why we should take into account the density of the keyword: number of times the word appears divided by the total number of words in the content multiplied by 100. The optimal value should not exceed 3%.
- Take into account the prominence of the keywords . The prominence of the keyword refers to where the word appears and the importance we want to give it. It is vital to place it in the title, metadescription , URL, first paragraph, h2 or h3 tags … In addition to highlighting it in bold, or in internal and external links. Remember what I said earlier: be careful and do not over- optimize .
- Facilitate access to the sitemap and the robots.txt file . Search engine spiders usually access the contents of websites through two not very well known files, but of vital importance: the sitemap and the robots.txt. The sitemap is an XML file that facilitates search engines the structure and importance of the contents of the site through the layout of the various pages and sections of it. On the other hand, the robots.txt file is responsible for telling search engines which files on the website the spiders can access and how often. It facilitates the tracking and indexing of contents.
- Have the SSL certificate (https) . The search engines (Google especially) have taken seriously the safety of people, and that is why they have given importance to the SSL certificate (security protocol) for the positioning of websites. So that certificate is more than necessary to appear in the first pages of Google.
- Be mobile-friendly and optimize the loading time of the website . We live in a mobile society and where time is rather scarce (or we want to make the most of it), that is why other elements of positioning to take into account websites are their adaptability to mobile devices and the time of Website loading.
And here is this series of tips to improve the positioning of your file, library or documentation center . Small brushstrokes given that will help these organisms get the visibility they deserve. Needless to say, there are many more topics to touch in web positioning and this is simply a small approximation. I will be happy to read you in the comments on those things that have remained in the pipeline and are of vital importance. As well as any point to improve in this post. I hope it will help you learn and I will be happy to continue learning with you.