14 Mar Tips to optimize the SEO of your blog (suitable for beginners)
Now that you have quality content focused on satisfying information needs of your target user, we will give you what is going to put it in the first results of the ranking.
This post is suitable for beginners who lack SEO knowledge. All the points we will see are part of what is called SEO on-page content , which depend and are directly controllable by you and for which you will not require a deep or technical knowledge of web positioning.
The goal of these measures, in addition to improving the user experience, is to help Google understand what your content is about. This will make it easier for you to index your pages and classify them.
Make a study of Keywords or Keywords:
Do a good research of Keywords (keyword research) before launching yourself to write like crazy. This study will allow you to discover what the users’ demands are in the search engine.
- Help yourself with SEO tools to search for keywords
- Lengthen the queue: Suppose you have a blog that has the job as a theme. Well, from the word “employment”, you will be playing with new searches and introducing other words
When you add more keywords, you increase the combinations. It goes lengthening the tail, let’s say. This is called “long tail keywords” , are words that have fewer searches, but are positioned more easily. Example: “employment agencies”, “how to search for employment online”
- When you have your keywords / phrases, create an editorial calendar to create the content of your blog
Controls keyword density
While it is important to include keywords and other related terms, it is important to do so sparingly. Watch for a balance , that the density of keywords is not too low or excessive.
If you are looking for information, you will find several ratios or recommended percentages, however, it is a very relative topic.
As in almost everything related to web positioning, use your common sense. Almost everything that is too repetitive for the user, will be too for Google.
Optimize titles and subtitles
When you write the titles (H1) and subtitles (H2, H3, H4 …) of your articles keep in mind that they are related to the searches of the users and follow a logic . The closer your titles are to the way people search, the easier it will be for Google to place you in the top positions.
- Keep in mind what problem you are going to solve with your content.
- Use the word or key phrase in your titles.
- Think like your reader and imagine what you would ask Google, answer it with your title.
- If you are creating a tutorial post (How to), reflect it in the title itself. (How to write a CV … Tips for submitting a candidacy …).
- Consider the extension of H1. Help Pluggins as SEOYoast to assess if you have exceeded the maximum length set by Google.
- It uses the labels H1, H2, H3 well … respecting the hierarchy of the text itself.
Create descriptive but attractive Metatags
Meta tags are the information that appears next to the URL in Google results.
Title and Description are very important for SEO , since at the same time they allow you to work your keywords must be attractive and generate intention to click. They are key to increase the CTR of your results. Think them well, they will be your presence in the results of search engines, you must stand out from the rest.
- Include keywords in your metatags as early as possible
- Describe the content of your article and invite to read it
- Includes Call to action or calls to action to click on your post
- If your content is updated, let it know
Create friendly URLs
If you publish from WordPress , you will see that by default the URL adopts the same structure of your title separated by mid-scripts. The ideal at this point is to modify the URL and optimize it :
- Use the keywords in your URL.
- Separate words with hyphens.
- Create short URLs, but without altering the meaning of the phrase.
- Content descriptive URLs, natural.
- Eliminate articles and prepositions, eñes, punctuation.
Example: Let’s analyze this title and how we could optimize the URL:
“How to write a letter of success”
Default URL: how-to-write-with-success-a-presentation-letter
Optimized URL : how-to-write-letter-presentation
Add internal links
Internal links have two key purposes: to provide more value to the reader and to guide Google within your blog. Link the articles of your blog through relevant internal links and improve internal SEO.
Do not abuse this resource: an excess of links can be uncomfortable for the reader. In addition, you run the risk of losing your goal.
- Every so often, check your articles and create new links.
- Verify that none is broken.
- Create smart anchor text. Avoid phrases like “more information, click here, etc.
- Add a couple of complementary articles in the middle of the post.
- Use the foot of the post to place related articles.
Optimize your images
Incorporate graphic elements to your text is essential . However, there are a couple of elements that you should keep in mind regarding SEO.
- Watch your weight. There are several tools that allow you to reduce the weight of your images without altering their quality. TinyPNG is a good example.
- Add the “alt” tag to your images
- Give them a name in line with your keywords before uploading them. That is, do not upload images called “IMG_1234”, but “template_curriculum”
Google prioritizes recent content, so try to be consistent with your articles to maintain the freshness of your blog .
The ideal is that you create an editorial calendar that you can adjust. That will save you a lot of uncertainty and in the long run, you will gain time.
It is not just about creating new articles. You will also have to “renew” the old ones.
Monitor the loading speed of your website
The search engines judge the loading speed very hard. It is normal, because users leave a web page very quickly if it is delayed to open. Therefore, it is very important that you watch how fast your website loads .
- Help yourself with tools such as GTmetrix, PageSpeed or Google Analytics to test your speed
- Select a good, powerful hosting that gives you guarantees
- Optimize your images before uploading
- Always use a cache plugin
Use Responsive Designs
There is no doubt that searches by mobile exceed those carried out from computers. Not only that, tools like Siri or Google Now have made people do oral searches.
This is why it is vital that the web design you use is responsive , that is, compatible with mobile devices. If your design is not compatible with the mobile system, your content can not be displayed correctly and they will leave your page.
If you already have a blog and you do not know if it meets that condition, you can check it in this link: Test of Optimization for Google Mobiles